-->
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Thai food fattening?

vCash
    Thanks

Is Thai food fattening?

I'm still wondering if the Thai food is fattening. I went back home for a month and ate all the "bad" food (cheese, potatoes, chocolates etc.) and lost 2 kilos. I gained them back in just two weeks here eating local food.
    If it is fattening, why the Thais are so skinny...

vCash
    Thanks

Re: Is Thai food fattening?

Rice itself is actually fattening, as it's full of carbohydrates.
    Most fried food is full of cholesterol
    Thai food these days is mainly meat...very few vegetables.
    Soups with coconut milk are also bad in the way of cholesterol.
    You have to go to a gym to get exercise as it's too hot to do that outside

You make up your own mind

Quote Originally Posted by Galina View Post
    If it is fattening, why the Thais are so skinny...
    There are VERY few real skinny people here..... There are many many porkers here.....why do you think they skinny?
    "Orchids are universally acknowledged to rank among the most singular and most modified forms in the vegetable kingdom" - Darwin

"Education without Experience & Exposure is Incomplete!"

Regular User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

wow that has not been my experience at all. I have lost nearly 18 kg in a year without touching the gym. I was at 113 kg when I arrived and now I am down to 95. 5 more to go and I am loving red curry every day.

Essex man and atheist Array Uncle Harry's Avatar
    Trevor Brooking's head, Wembley, May 10th 1980
    vCash
    Thanks

Thai food must be fattening, I put on weight when I lived in Thailand. I'm sure the beer Chang had nothing to do with it.

Recreational User Array traveler2's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

I do not think it's fattening for the most part. All the fried food obviously has more fat. I lost weight when I was there and I drank more than my share of beer to boot! Well, chilies contain a substance that speeds up your metabolism, so I'm a firm believer that it makes you leaner instead of fatter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

out of control Array bewildered wanderer's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

If you are eating stuff like Khao mun gai or moo daeng or moo grob, or any other of those side stall foods full of white rice and meat cooked in shit oil, then, yes. If you are eating foods like Gaeng som, Nam prik kapee, Tom yam, etc., especially with brown rice, then, no.
    "Having sex is like playing bridge. If you don't have a good partner, you'd better have a good hand."
    - Woody Allen

Eat your Greens! Array greenleaf's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

I can't lose any weight here. Maybe i'm just happy
    my home:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

my blog:

vCash
    Thanks

I know that rice is rich in carbs, but so are potatoes, bread and macaroni which I loved back home. The problem with Thai food IMO is that it's mostly fried - there are just a few kinds of soup and no boiled or steamed dishes. Everything is "pad"! And most of it is "moo"... I mean I like Thai food but need to find a way to live with it :-)
    I sometimes buy brown rice to cook at home, but it's almost impossible to find it on the street stalls or at our school canteen (which is )

Regular User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

It all boils down to how much exercise you are getting each day. I exercise twice a day on a stationary bike...each time is 30-35 minutes...so nearly 70 minutes a day. I also do 150 sit-ups each day. I try not to eat too much throughout the day...breaking my meals into small portions several times a day...this is what a lot of Thais do...and it makes sense. Rather than eating three big meals, eat six smaller meals and get plenty of exercise and also drink a lot of water. I was at about 95kgs in February. It's now close to the end of May and I am down to 71kgs. So, obviously, eating healthy food, getting lots of cardio exercise and drinking lots of water has proven to be a successful diet. You just have to control the amount of carbs you take in each day. I never eat bread, rice, cereals, etc...I stick to protein (chicken breasts and tofu) plus a lot of greens and fruit.

It's not hard to lose weight, you just need to have a goal and work hard to achieve it. It takes about a month before you start to see a difference, so that is the toughest time...if you have strong will power than just focus and you'll be fine. After the first month you will start seeing a difference and that motivates you to continue working hard!!!

Good luck...

vCash
    Thanks

Like the consumption of any kind or style of food, the answer is yes, no and sometimes.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Galina View Post
    Everything is "pad"! And most of it is "moo"...
    I totally understand your point, why don't you try vegetarian version? Tofu and muchroom are great sorce of protein. My husband, LLLs, is vegetarian and he hardly puts on weight only when we got into the habit of drinking beer with our mates too often.

I also suggest you cook your own food so that you can control the amouth of oil, sugar and monosodium that you cannot aviod if you buy food from food stalls. Clear soup with brown rice would be a great meal for diet.
    How can a train be lost? It's on rails

vCash
    Thanks

Gurning simpleton chefs are to avoided! The lady outside my place is dead good, tasting and adjusting, not too much oil or sugar, etc.

My cholesterol was 4.6 before I came here, nearly 4 years ago. It's now 4.3.
    I'm everywhere you've never been and better than I've ever been

vCash
    Thanks

One fattening thing that hasn't been mentioned is coconut milk / cream.

Creamy dishes like 'masaman gai' are far more fattening than more watery dishes like, say, 'gaeng som.'

Quote Originally Posted by fencesitter View Post
    It all boils down to how much exercise you are getting each day.
    A different question, really.
    Last edited by Cyrille; 22nd May 2008 at 14:55. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Regular User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

^ A different question but indirectly related to the OPs question. And yes, the answers can vary from yes, no, and sometimes. Like others have said, it depends on exactly what you are eating each day. Coconut milk is very fattening and most curries have a lot of it. I would avoid anything heavy, like curry or other similiar foods.

Thai food is very delicious, and cheap, so try not to over eat. I'm a sucker for the dessert sticky rice. I can eat it buy the kilo...love that stuff so much!!! Haven't been back to Thailand in four years...will be going there this summer...hope that old lady on the street is still there with her gigantic bowl of sticky rice...

I can't stress enough the importance of regular exercise. It will not only burn fat, but also relieve stress. Try it and you'll see.
    Last edited by fencesitter; 22nd May 2008 at 17:28. Reason: Didn't make sense after I read it again...

Established User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

^ Fencesitter - nice one losing all that weight! Can you recommend some thai dishes on the street that you can eat? I don't drink that much at all and to be fair I don't eat much crap eg crisps, chocolate etc but I do eat big meals and i don't excercise. I know I need to change that but I would like to get the food side sorted.

Anyone else too. Is somtam ok?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast