SEE TEFL
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: LPG, Pros and cons??

vCash
    Thanks

Help LPG, Pros and cons??

I'm thinking of going onto LPG for the car and wondering if anyone is driving with LPG?

I've been told lots of things but I'm still not sure if running your car on LPG in the long run is good for the engine.
    Any ideas?

vCash
    Thanks

Re: LPG, Pros and cons??

The wife did it 18 months ago, and not a problem one. She has already paid the cost of installing the equipment and is way into the I am saving money mode. Dont forget they can run on both systems. Go to a reputable place though.
    Too long in Exile, too long not singing my song.
    Too long like a rolling stone, Too long in exile
    Too long in Exile, baby you just arent my friend.
    Too long in Exile my friend, Baby you can never go home again.

vCash
    Thanks

Any idea of the cost for a reputable place?

What I was told that after 6 years or so the engine will be in a bad way, due to It running at a higher temperature and the pistons gaskets not being lubricated from the constant use of LPG rather than petrol, as petrol lubricates the engine.

Also engine vibration is higher causing other problems, again in the long term use of LPG.
    Cars are designed and tested to run on petrol not LPG so a little worried.

vCash
    Thanks

I have had 2 LPG vehicles. One was dual petrol LPG and the other dedicated (no petrol tank).

Advantages - cheap, produces CO2 not CO, very clean burning in the engine, good torque at low revs in larger engines.

Disadvantages - Fuel guages are very inefficient compared with petrol, large tank needed compared with petrol, sometimes a lack of refilling stations, the best tuning for LPG is different to petrol so duel fuel systems are not as efficient if tuned for petrol, dual fuel drivers tend to use LPG and change over when the fuel runs out, so the petrol is rarely fresh and brings dirty fuel into the system.

If I had the money to buy a brand new car I would buy a dedicated LPG vehicle...it might be very difficult buying a dedicated vehicle second hand IMO!!! Second choice, buy a dual fuel and disconnect the petrol supply, but always keep it full.

Quote Originally Posted by OEG View Post
    What I was told that after 6 years or so the engine will be in a bad way, due to It running at a higher temperature and the pistons gaskets not being lubricated from the constant use of LPG rather than petrol, as petrol lubricates the engine.
    I think this applies to CNG, not LPG...which is liquid. I do not know of any problems with LPG in engines.
    Last edited by kiwiling; 15th June 2008 at 09:22. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

President of the Galaxy Array zaphodbeeblebrox's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

I have LPG. The conversion is just over 40,000 baht. The only drawback is that outside of Bangkok, there are very few filling stations. With a conversion however, I can run on petrol if I need to. In a dual tank car, when your car is cold, it will run on petrol. Most of my driving is short trips around town, so I tend to use some petrol. You can't beat the efficiency of LPG on longer trips.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Senior Member Array russellsimpson's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

A good idea to covert. Used it back west.

Also engine vibration is higher causing other problems, again in the long term use of LPG.
    That shouln't be happening as a result of converting. The distributor needs some precise adjustments when converting, sounds like this might not have been done properly.
    When being run out of town, get in front of the crowd and make it appear like a parade.

vCash
    Thanks

A former colleague of mine bought quite an old Toyota Soluna and had it converted to run on dual fuel.

He told me that the saving using the LPG was quite substantial.

Going off on a bit of a tangent, I have a filling station just up the road to where I live (Nimitmai Road between Min Buri and Lam Luk Kah) which has a convenient 7 Eleven, so I use it quite regularly.

It's also gas station but I think it's NGV (dunno what the difference is). I went up there last week, took the u-turn for the station and was confronted by a line of those public transport buses lined up as far as the eye could see.

They were worming their way into the station to fill up with gas.

Yesterday, I went up there and a similar thing except this time it was taxis.

Is there something about the gas they use that it's only available of certain days?

playing the field... Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zaphodbeeblebrox View Post
    The only drawback is that outside of Bangkok, there are very few filling stations.
    This is why I'm cool on the idea, I want to take road trips.
    Follow the three Rís: Respect for self Respect for others and Responsibility for all your actions.
    --Erma Bombek

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Missle Command Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric C View Post
    Quote: Originally Posted by zaphodbeeblebrox The only drawback is that outside of Bangkok, there are very few filling stations.

This is why I'm cool on the idea, I want to take road trips.
    This is changing a great deal now. But, if you have a system which runs on both gasoline and LPG, it doesn't really matter if you travel to a place with no LPG stations. Fill up with LPG, go where you want, and when you run out of LPG run the car on gasoline until you get to another LPG station.

Of course, if you live outside of Bangkok in an area with no LPG stations, it really makes no sense to convert. But, if you live in Bangkok there are plenty of places to get LPG. I know of at least six LPG stations in the area I travel routinely, and that is plenty. We took a trip about 400 km south of Bangkok, and after Hua Hin there were few LPG stations, but we weren't concerned about running out of fuel because we would just use gasoline if the LPG ran out before we got to another LPG station. The only problem with that is that you are using fuel that costs 40+ baht instead of fuel that costs 11+ baht.

vCash
    Thanks

our conversion was done before they became so popular. The wife paid 25,000 I am pretty sure, will check when she gets home at noon. Going to Pattaya no problems finding the gas, Chang no problems either. Up to Pakchang we can get it as well. Remember most of the systems are dual so you can run on petrol while looking for a place that sells LPG. The guy who did our conversion gave us a list and a map as to where the stations are. New ones are being added all the time.

As for me with 250,000 on the odometer now I will stay with petrol.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by russellsimpson View Post
    The distributor needs some precise adjustments when converting
    Do you mean the computer controlled electronic spark timing? I've not seen a distributor in a newer car.

bet
    Awaiting mod approval... Array bet's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

I had the car converted about a year ago, the cost was around 30K. It's paid for itself a few times over since installation. The tank holds a much greater volume than that of an NGV tank, and takes no time to fill.

There are plenty of LPG stations outside Bangkok, but they tend to be on the main routes. On both my last two long trips, one to Koh Chang and one to Ubon, there was no shortage of LPG stations.

I would highly recommend it.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bet View Post
    I had the car converted about a year ago, the cost was around 30K. It's paid for itself a few times over since installation.
    Wow, now you've got me really interested, that is some great rate of return! Is yours a duel-fuel system so you can still use gasoline if you need it?

Is there any way (website?) to check the make and model of your car to know what sort of options you have?

Where did you guys get your conversions done?

vCash
    Thanks

Just googled 'LPG cars in Thailand' and lots of good stuff to read.

vCash
    Thanks

When my wife did it 22 months ago she got it for 21,000 but it was a group of 10 cars at one time. Now the cost at the same place is 46,000 baht. The waiting list is two months. Problem is lack of the best tanks.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast