--> International House - Bangkok

Thread: Walt & Wilf

vCash
    Thanks

Walt & Wilf

Anyone use these?
    We Are Learning Today. Outline of a learning intention, developed by Shirley Clarke. WALT is sometimes characterised as an owl, or an animal.

What I'm Looking For. Exemplification of success criteria, developed by Shirley Clarke. WILF is sometimes characterised as an animal or in comic human form.

I saw it in a school written on the board at the beginning of a class. They have a WALT cartoon character on the board. Beside this they wrote what the children were supposed to learn beside the WALT character, as a clear indication of what the intentions of the lesson were.

The WILF one is to let the children know what they should be producing as evidence of the learning outcome (I think).

They're mostly used in primary I think.

http://www.slamnet.org.uk/ks3strat/i..._WILF_and_TIBs_

Q12. What are WALT, WILF and TIBs?

A. The acronyms have been developed by Shirley Clarke as a easily remembered checklist for teachers. They crystallise ideas that underpin good teaching practice and are very helpful planning reminders. WALT stands for "We are Learning To". It is a reinterpretation of the teachers lesson objectives (or learning intentions), phrased in a way that pupils can easily understand. WILF stands for "What I'm Looking For". It is a way of explaining the lesson outcomes to the pupils in terms that they can understand. "By the end of the lesson your work will look like . . " You may have to do several different versions of WILF according to the variations in ability levels in your groups. TIBs stands for "This Is Because." To help to engage the pupils we are explaining the purpose of the work that they will be doing in a lesson. If pupils understand why they are doing something then they will put more effort into their work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Established User Array Hong Kong Phooey's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Re: Walt & Wilf

Yeah, I've seen this in use in UK primary schools. Shirley Clarke is one of a handful of authors who sold British education another "whizzo" idea that was heavily used and is now out of favour. She's also responsible for Assessment for Learning (AfL).
    My UK primary school used to use WALT and WILF but dropped them in favour of using something more straightforward: LI and LO (learning intention and learning outcome). Similar idea but easier to write on lesson plans ! The kids still understand the point.

At the end of the day, anything that engages children and helps them understand what/why they're learning is a good thing. Kitschy catch phrases have their place but a limited shelf life in education, methinks.

vCash
    Thanks

Re: Walt & Wilf

As a way of making it clear what the children are supposed to learn, I thought it was quite good. I've never used it. I thought I might try it this term to try to let the children know what the point of the lesson is.