International House - Bangkok

Thread: English Camp Activities

Established User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

English Camp Activities

hello,

just finishing putting together a detailed plan for all of the games and activities in English Camp which is coming up in my school in about two weeks or so. I'm fairly stumped though on what would be a good and fun activity to get the students to introduce everyone in their group on the first evening, does anybody have any suggestions?

I'm trying to put together something that wouldn't be longer than 30 - 40 mins, these kids are very mixed ranging from G1 to G9 with the majority of them being from the Thai program so their English is little to none to be honest. We're talking about 60 kids all together with about two farang and eight Thai teachers.

We also want to have a talent show on the second evening which sounds great as an idea but how we actually implement it and what structure we put on it is entirely different, a theme or something along those lines would be the best idea I suppose but if anyone has any ideas on that too please do share.

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Re: English Camp Activities

Hi There,

I run KanGo Education & Adevnture, a summer school in Darwin Australia and have faced the issues you are facing many times.

If you tell me a few more things I'll see what I can come up with!

How long does the camp run for?
    Are the kids familiar with one another already?
    Are the kids familiar with the location they are at?
    Is it in a school or outside?

Established User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

The camp is pretty short we arrive there on Friday afternoon and leave on Sunday afternoon. The kids would be fairly familar with each other as they all go to the same school and the school is not huge by any means. The kids wont be familar at all with the location as it is about two hours away from the school. The introduction activity would be indoors as well

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Hello again,

Some unconventional intro activities:

Materials: digital camera
    Activitiy: Put kids into groups of 8/10. The students have to work together to spell there names using their bodies. For example, for a kid called Tony, one student in the 'T' - standing straight with their arms out wide; the 'O' requires two kids to face each other, toes touching and heads touching then sticking their ass out etc etc. Its a very good teambuilding activity and the kids have a lot of fun - inadvertantly, they all learn each others names very well. Once the kids have spelt the name, a teacher or student takes a photo. You can make a good collage of the photos or give them oout after camp as souveniers.........

Activity: To start have all the kids standing. Teacher instructs: Sit down if you have a pet dog. (students with pet dog sit down)......Sit down if you have a boy or girlfriend.....Sit down if your name has an 'A' in it.....and so on until you have one kids left standing who is the winner. Then put the kids into groups of 6 and they play this amongst themselves. This is another way the kids find out some information about one another in an uncontrived way and have the opportunity to be silly with their English.

Activity: Making groups
    Procedure: You give an instruction and students have to make groups of 4 that satisfy your instructions. Kids who dont make group sit down do forfeit (say the alphabet, sing - whatever works with your kids) For example - "make a group of people the same age as you" (at this point the students need to communicate, in English, of course, inadvertantly finding more information about each other). "make a group of people who are wearing the same coloured shoes as you" - "make a group of people who have the same number of brothers and sisters as you" etc etc

Talent Contest

It being only a 2 day camp, the talent contest will be difficult for the kids. It requires a lot of prep time to get the acts together. Usualy Id spend an hour or so a day over 2 weeks to get this together and give the kids time to build confidence in their performance. However, if the kids already have a talent they wish to display, then great, but Id be suprised if many kids volunteered themselves forward. These things usually work better when groups perform - which takes time.

With limited time I would go for a more structured talent contest that involves all the kids. For example, give them an hour to go off into the woods, or raid the cupboards, to find material to make instruments (shakers, bangers) and then have them come up with a song. The primitive instruments lend to simple beats and chants which arent too hard to come up with in a short time. Some kids might sing, others might dance, others play the instrument - perfect for mixing shy with extrovert kids. It also allows kids with talents already to implement them (juggling, ballet etc can all be incorporated into 'the song')

Just my thoughts....hope they help.

John Cotton
    KanGo Education & Adventure

Established User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

John,

Thanks for the ideas all of the intro ones are great especially the spelling of the name with their bodies is very good. The talent show will be prepared before hand by the teacher on a specific topic / theme the kids will learn that day so it shouldnt be too bad something like a song / dance / game / acting based around the chosen topic for example weather , hobbies, jobs.

Thanks again for the ideas!

Regular User Array tropic of cancer's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

We've just had an English Camp at our school. It was lots of fun. One activity we did - which I use on an almost daily basis with my Pratom 2 kids - is a version of the classic UK kids gameshow Runaround (where kids had a few seconds to choose a 'Zone' -A, B or C - from three choices corresponding to answers to a question). The question of course can be any area of grammar or vocab you wish. Those that got it wrong in the original Runaround were eliminated, though we gave the kids three bits of straw (to represent lives) and made sure we started with some easy questions to give them all a chance to 'achieve' as it were.

I play this game at least once a week (using points accumulation as opposed to elimination) with my Pratom 2 (usually as a lockdown-type activity on Fridays, using that weeks' TLs). The kids ask to play it every lesson. They love piling on to the circles in a heap (you need to try and make it so that the circles are just big enough they can all squueze on in a huddle)

Usually I just do it with three circles on the classroom floor, boarded options and counting to ten but this time I managed to rig up a projector and some up-tempo music in the meeting room.

It's not an 'introducing' game but it's a definite winner.
    Last edited by tropic of cancer; 9th October 2008 at 15:06.

Come get some! Array Leif Garrett's Avatar
    I live in Thailand which is a hot country in South East Asia.
    vCash
    Thanks

Olde English Cider and the "Are you nervous yet?" game.

British bulldogs is a grey area as I'm not sure whether it is still illegal. If you do play this then it's only really fun if the "full" rules are applied.

Banger-Rocket chicken was always a favourite:
    1. Get a pack of small bangers.
    2. Tape them loosely to a small, not very powerful exploding rocket (one that goes off about 20-30 metres in the air).
    3. All the kids stand in a circle.
    4. You light the bangers and the rocket (some preparation is required on timing).
    5. Any kid that moves as the bangers land randomly amongst them is a chicken.

Any more help or advice I can give...only too happy to oblige.
    I searched for years I found no love. I'm sure that love will never be a product of plasticity. - Krank Zappa