--> International House - Bangkok
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Describe yourself in the words of an imaginary, fair and impartial critic.

Regular User Array toong tao daeng's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Iwasthinking Describe yourself in the words of an imaginary, fair and impartial critic.

I'm filling out a job application, and this is one of the questions.

While this question appears under the "About You" section of the application, I can't help but think they want me to directly reference my teaching. Would you agree? Or should I simply write a few sentences containing proactive adjectives that would imply the type of teacher I want them to think I am?

OK, obviously I'm over thinking this, but what would you answer if someone posed this question to you?

vCash
    Thanks

Re: Describe yourself in the words of an imaginary, fair and impartial critic.

Well IME, most EFL teachers tend to write their own references and get their employer to sign it. So I guess this is just a way of bypassing the pissing about.
    You know what really chaps my ass though?

I spent my life savings turning my van into a dog.
    The alarm alone cost me two hundred.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

vCash
    Thanks

Moon Lander Champion!

He's dedicated to the business at hand and seems to have a fair amount of passion for education, but in his off-hours he's a bit of a psychotic freak!

vCash
    Thanks

its essentially asking you to demonstrate your ability to reflect on yourself, constructively.

anything else IS overthinking the question

Senior Member Array MisterStretch's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stfranalum View Post
    its essentially asking you to demonstrate your ability to reflect on yourself, constructively.
    and objectively. Do you know your own strengths and weaknesses? This is very much an Asian thing, I've noticed of late. (Maybe because I've been in Asia for 6 years...)

Moving on Array
    vCash
    Thanks

^Yes, I agree that it is asking you to describe your strengths and weaknesses, in an objective way.

What would your present or past employer's say about you? How about your friends?

Blah! Blah! Blah! Array kenkannif's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Do you have to talk about yourself in the third person? I hate CV's with that on...unless it's Alan Shearer!!!

Riddle me this brother can you handle it
    Your style to my style you can't hold a candle to it
    Equinox symmetry and the balance is right
    Smokin' and drinkin' on a Tuesday night
    It's not how you play the game it's how you win it
    I cheat and steal and sin and I'm a cynic

Wishes He Was A Gigolo Array Whose Wandering?'s Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by toong tao daeng View Post
    Or should I simply write a few sentences containing proactive adjectives that would imply the type of teacher I want them to think I am?
    Tell that that you're a professional educational contortionist and you will bend to their will, twist through loopholes, and be a generally adaptable amorphous teaching blob.

This is for a job in Thailand, right?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry."

vCash
    Thanks

Just start with the words "I'm an all-around wonderful person..." and go on from there.
    __________________________________________________ ________

And I thought that it was just a car!

Regular User Array toong tao daeng's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Thanks for all your replies.
    I've finished every other part of the application, but I'm still mulling over what I should write for this part.
    Everything I've come up with so far seems so contrived....but considering the question, how couldn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Whose Wandering? View Post
    This is for a job in Thailand, right?
    No, it's in the ME.

vCash
    Thanks

Yeah, I hate those fucking questions. The answer inevitably sounds contrived. Throw-in some good adjectives like "adaptable" and "diligent".
    که خدای وغواړی

vCash
    Thanks

"He appears to be a focused and mindful teacher who seems genuinely concerned about his students comfort, engagement, and learning - even if sometimes he may not know exactly how to handle every classroom situation with equal wisdom and ability. He does not come across as an 'expert' - he is still learning the details and the higher skills of teaching - but more of a sincere long-term beginner. His main challenges appear to be 1) discipline (he is often too nice-acting with students, who will take advantage and act out) and, occasionally, 2) organization (good intentions and ideas don't always translate into good lessons unless they are well planned). Another thing I noticed about him: he gets along quite well with both Thai and foreign staff, is quick to smile, and has an easy-going and cooperative spirit that is much appreciated in the sometimes stressful atmosphere of the school staffroom"....I don't know.

vCash
    Thanks

just tell them the truth that you're one of the top 5% of all foreign teachers there in Thailand, and you're here to put your best foot forward to this learning instution to help students archied their ultimated goal which is to obtained the best education that they could not have gotten anywhere unless you're hired.

No, seriously though, I wish you the all the best and hope you get the job.
    ลาน้องก่อน พี่จนถึงต้องจำจาก, ถึงแม้พี่จะหลงรัก ฐานะพาพราก ต้องจากจอมใจ
    ถ้าหากมั่งมี แล้วพี่จะคืนมาใหม่, ไม่ว่าจะอยู่แห่งไหน จะนานเท่าไร ยังไม่ลืมบาง...

out of control Array bewildered wanderer's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Wait,
    What about this,
    "I think that I am a deity reincarnated. Everything I do is perfect. People seem to bend to my will, but I come off as very appeasing. I work very hard because I have nothing else better to do. I have had a strong upbringing and prospective companies looking to add an essential sprocket or cog to their machine might want to review my CV. I'm sure that at the end of the probationary period, my god-like nature will be fully recognized and appreciated.

I think that will get you the job
    "Having sex is like playing bridge. If you don't have a good partner, you'd better have a good hand."
    - Woody Allen

vCash
    Thanks

(Kind-of-related-ish) Do they make you submit a picture ID along with your resume [when applying for a teaching position]?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast